CONGRATS! YOU FOUND THE PAGE! =)

Monday, June 14, 2010

Slip of The Tongue @ Tongue Twister



Dear readers.

Have you ever heard of the term tongue twister before? A tongue twister is defined as a word or group of words that are difficult to articulate rapidly, usually because of a succession of similar consonantal sounds, as in Shall she sell seashells? or something that is difficult to pronounce.

While for slip of the tongue, on the other hand, is defined as an unintentional utterance or a mistake in speaking. 

In my opinion, these two situations are very much common to happen, either to the native speaker of the English language itself, and what more to those who speak English only as their second or third language.



What I'd like to highlight here is that, nowadays, teachers, I have to admit, often take this matter seriously. I mean, since these two situations have been regarded as accidents, then who do us, teachers must scold or correct the students as if they have done big grammatical mistakes?

I used to receive complaints from some dearest students saying they have the biggest fright in practising their spoken English BECAUSE they have been reeciving bad comments from others about their wrong pronunciation of words. 

Come on people. Kids that are not used to the language need some time to get themselves used to the language. As teachers, of course we can correct them, but there are lots of ways that we can do & most importantly, we should avoid from killing the motivation & their interest from learning the language. Agree?

I know some teachers are way too excited to teach the students, but force technique won't work, I always believe that. But then, I do believe some of us still have problems with our own pronunciation, don't we? But us teachers, for sure we won't like to accept corrections from others. Am I right or am I right? 

Oh, and I believe some of us still mispronounced the word 'Pronunciation' most of the time ;)

This is just a reminder for all of us. so, PEACE! =)

*Quote of the day:

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion".



No comments:

Post a Comment